– 2 pints FRESH cherry tomatoes (try the colorful ones), halved
– a handful of fresh basil, mint, and parsley, chopped coursely
– Olive Oil
– 1-2 cups grated favorite Italian cheese (the traditional cheese is pecorino, but I had none on hand so I grate parmesan)
– lots of fresh ground black pepper (to your taste)
– 1 lb pasta
– 1/2 medium onion (preferrably red, but a sweet white onion works as well), chopped
– 1 clove garlic, crushed
– 1 tablespoon butter
– salt (to your taste)
Roast the tomatoes, cut side up on a baking sheet at 325 for 20 minutes. As they cook, prepare the pasta and reserve 1 cup of liquid. When the tomatoes are warm, but cool to the touch combine the herbs, tomatoes, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and salt and pepper. Set aside.
Add 2 tablespoons of oil and 1 tablespoon butter to a large skillet heated over medium low. When melted, add onions, garlic, and pepper and cook until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant (about 4 minutes). Discard the garlic. Add the pasta, 1/2 cup of reserved cooking liquid, and half of the cheese (add more liquid if necessary). Toss until pasta is coated with cheese. Plate the pasta, top with tomato mixture and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!